Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Modern Plus Top Finished

Started this quilt top on Saturday, finished the flimsy today. Not bad huh? We won't talk about the fact that the backing will be heavily pieced to use up those 40 squares I had left over plus whatever fabric I can find in my magic fabric chest :)

I first posted about this quilt on Monday.  Carol Friedlander fans will know that this is her Botanics line. All of it :)

Here are the pics and then I'll share a few things I learned/confirmed while sewing this top together.

I need a taller back wall :) I am posting this picture because I think it is pretty amazing the color difference between the lower portion of the quilt that is in the BLAZING sun and the upper quilt that is not in direct sunlight. Amazing the difference it makes isn't it??

I hung it horizontally so I could get the entire quilt in the picture :)

One more just cuz :)
And now here are a few close ups so you can see all of that absolutely LOVELY fabric :) I have to admit, there were a few times during this project that I thought I had made the wrong choice in terms of patterns. Now that the flimsy is finished I just love it!








So I thought this would be a really straightforward top to put together. . . That was pretty much the case with piecing portion. What took me the longest was getting the Plus signs all situated so the fabrics didn't blend into one another, lights, darks, if I move that one, then I have to move those three. . . oy vey! I spent all day Sunday putting blocks on my design wall. I'd put some up. Walk away and do the dishes. Put some up. Walk away and take a shower. Put some up. Walk away and make food. Well, you get the idea. What I found was walking away, made the process go a little faster than deciding on layouts have gone in the past. We hear all the time, getting frustrated, making mistakes, doesn't seem to be looking right, just walk away - and I do when I find I am making mistakes. But I had never actually done it while I was in the design phase. I usually get so excited about seeing something come together that I stand at the wall arranging, rearranging on an on and on.  Walking away works very well!

I learned that even with a 'simple' quilt made out of just sewing squares together (no block construction), precision in cutting and piecing make life MUCH easier! :) You might be thinking, DUH, no kidding! haha Have I mentioned in this post how much I love Rosanne's 1/4 inch piecing setting and the piecing foot that came with her?? LOVE!

One more thing, press those seams open or to the side? Most of you know I am a press those seams open kind of girl. I like the way my blocks lay and it just seems to me that I am more accurate pressing open. BUT there is a time and place for everything - even which way to press seams! LOL I pressed the seams to the side on this one. I'm not crazy about pinning but I do pin when sewing rows together when the seams are pressed open. It's the only way I have found to be accurate. With a quilt like this, nest those seams baby! No pins for me! :) I guess what I am saying, no need to be militant about the seam pressing issue. From here on out, I'll let the project dictate!

Oh, last item I promise - I managed to get all of those squares sewn together and I only had to rip out and resew ONE 5" seam due to messing up the layout! Now that is amazing!

On to making the back. My batting should be here tomorrow so I can start quilting Off Course - YAY :)

Linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday, Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social, My Quilt Infatuation for NTT and Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it Up Friday.

Until next time, keep on quilting!
Follow on Bloglovin


19 comments:

  1. Looks great and wow on speed for this one! I like your suggestion to do a bit and walk away. It really does make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fabric and layout! I used to be a press to the side person, then I started opening the seams to get flatness...then I listened to a quilter talk about the strength in her quilt and she said you can only achieve that if you press to the side. So now I will probably take it a one quilt at a time basis but I do lots of charity quilts and I would hate for something to not withstand many washing and snuggles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! The fabrics are perfect for this pattern.

    I've always been a pressing-to-the-side kinda girl, but recently I made a quilt with seams pressed open. I don't enjoy the lack of stability in the seam, but I am enjoying the points that match up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pattern but have never made one! Its on my list! gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! And yes, I've made a plus pillow before with lighter/darker fabrics and did not anticipate the time that the layout would take. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful pics! Love that you went with the horizontal hang to get her all in. Looks just incredible! You made the right choice of design for that Botaniques line, Judy. Just WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely use of Botanics! Can't wait to see how you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning! Good for you only having to repair one seam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great quilt! Just love the Plus design with these fabrics-the up close photos really show the fabric well. I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great quilt top!! I think these fabrics work perfectly with this pattern, well done!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work. You've got a good balance of lights and darks. All that layout time paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the quilt. This is a great line of fabric and love it in this pattern. Can't wait to see how you end up quilting it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great - love the fabric range you chose for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. very cool, love the fabrics and you were very speedy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this pattern! Such a great design. Nice job getting this done ... and so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOWZERS!!! So fast. And you did such a great job positioning those fabrics. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great, I agree with you about pressing seams - do what is right for the current project, with all those seams to align pressing to the side would make it so much easier to match up the pluses.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :) Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Come back real soon!

If you left me a comment, I will be responding in kind either by email and/or by visiting your blog and commenting on your wonderful creation :)