Monday, March 24, 2014

TA DA! Triangle Log Cabin :)

It is FINISHED! And now the much awaited (my me anyway LOL) reveal of the Triangle Log Cabin! You can find a tutorial for how to make the triangles here.  So without further rambling cuz I know you just came to look at pictures and I'll do plenty rambling after the pictures ;) here it is!


LOVE LOVE LOVE :)

Quilting looks SOOO cool on the back!!
Some close ups. . . OK A LOT of close ups :) 


Washed and crinkly :)

Quilting this quilt reminded me how much I LOVE FMQing!!

VERY sunny this morning, yup that's my shadow LOL

Back looks seriously cool! IMHO :)

Washing really made the quilting come out on the dark blue.
More, just thrown over a chair, just cuz I couldn't stop taking pictures! And a couple close ups of the binding on the angles.  I have more pics of that and will definitely be sharing more in the tutorial post on binding angles.

The colors!!! SO in love with Oakshotts!!

Yummy :)

Going to be hard to ship this one off!!

Close up of binding.

Washing REALLY improved the look of the binding on the inverted angles.

What the back side of the binding looks like. 

One more just cuz :)
Quilt Stats:
Size: 58 "x 65 1/2"
Fabric: OAKSHOTT COTTONS! All of the solids are Oakshotts. See more on that below.  The prints are Kaffe Fasset and Brandon Malby.  The backing is various fabrics from my stash. . . the smaller pieces are Suede by P&B Textiles, the batik pieces are Polynesian Batik Royal Blue Medallion and the other batik is also Polynesian but I do not know the print. . . 
Batting: Quilter's Dream Wool of course :)
Quilting Thread: Superior King Tut Lapis Lazull (LOVE the color variation in this one!!)

First a bit about the Oakshott Cottons.  I have worked with Kaffe Fassett Shots and now Oakshott's. I don't represent either company (haha, that would be cool but I'm just a quilter with an opinion) so here's the down and dirty.  Oakshots are richer in color, easier to work with because they are thicker and when they are quilted result in an even more intense visual of the different colors in the weave.  Basically, I am in love :) Kaffe Fassett Shots are easier to find in the US.  A big plus if you are the type that wants to touch and feel before buying.  

I purchased my Oakshotts from Contemporary Cloth.  Customer service is exemplary and Sondra has the largest selection of Oakshotts (in the US) on the web that I found (also not affiliated in any way with Contemporary Cloth, I'm just a really happy customer who thinks it is important to share stories of wonderful experiences with customer service, not just the horror stories).  I recommend the Lakes collection! Oh my, those purples and blues are simply delish! I have enough (OK OK I went a little crazy and got the Lakes FQ bundle, the Lipari FQ bundle, the Italy Fat Eighth bundle, the Impressions FE bundle) for another quilt - it hasn't completely taken shape in my head but it is forming! Sondra mentioned that Michael Oakshott had said how wonderfully the cottons work with batiks (Holy Wow - my two favorite types of fabric in ONE QUILT???) so stay tuned for something that just has to be awesome with that combo! :)

On to the quilting! I have been doing a lot of straight line quilting lately and neglecting my FM practice.  When I decided on the design for the quilting, I thought it would go quickly. . . And it might have but here's what I learned in the process of quilting this quilt - setting my speed regulator to the middle is a good thing.  I took Cindy Needham's Craftsy class and she made a comment during that class about the machine sounding like Mamma Bear (you know from the three bear's fame - Pappa Bear, top speed, Mamma Bear, medium and Baby Bear, barely moving) speed.  This really worked for me to see a major difference in consistency in stitch length.  

Another MAJOR lesson - DO NOT QUILT WHEN DISTRACTED! I didn't take a picture, I couldn't bring myself to do it. . . But believe me it did happen. . . A friend stopped by to use our copy machine.  I'm typically here with just my dogs during the day.  She's just making copies, not really saying much because she knew I wanted to finish. . . when she left I went to start in again, had to reposition the quilt and DOH! I had quilted the TOP of the quilt to the MIDDLE of the quilt!! :( Holy disasters Batman! After two hours of ripping stitches and cussing up a blue streak, I had the top free of the middle. . . and now to REDO all I had ripped out. . . I got it done and it wasn't the end of the world but now I know - if anyone other than my husband is in the house - step away from the sewing machine!!

On to binding - I promised a tutorial for binding and I did take pictures and will do the tutorial and will link it to this post but I think this post is long enough :) If you have hung in with me to the end, I'm appreciative and thank you! :)  Just a little on the binding - I really loved how all of the angles in the quilt turned out EXCEPT the inverted angles on the side.  No matter how I folded, smoothed, coaxed, cajoled or begged I could not get it to look the way I wanted it to - my inner perfectionist coming out? Maybe :) Enough on that - I will post the tutorial within the next couple of days.

Linking up with. . . EVERYONE! LOL
Monday: Stitch by Stitch for Anything Goes Monday and Patchwork Times for Design Wall Mondays
Tuesday: Freemotion by the River for Linky Tuesday and Quilt Story for Fabric Tuesday
Wednesday: Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social and Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday
Thursday: My Quilt Infatuation for NTT and Pretty Bobbins for I Quilt
Friday: Devoted Quilter for TGIFF, Richard and Tanya Quilts for LAFF, Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a WHOOP! WHOOP!
Saturday: Sew She Can for Show It Off Saturday and My Go Go Live for SewJo Saturday

And finally, Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it Up Friday.

Whew, that's a lot - I said I was linking to everyone LOL.  Until next time, keep on quilting!!

Follow on Bloglovin


47 comments:

  1. great finish! Log cabin blocks with triangles have so many possibilities! great job on the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting quilt!! It looks like it would be really fun to make! Thanks for sharing!

    ps. I'm hosting my first giveaway, and if you are interested here is a link...http://learningcurvecrafts.blogspot.com/2014/03/facebook-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant finish! I absolutely adore the angled edges, so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd link with everyone too!!! LOL!!! Despite the lesson learned.....guess we all have to protect our quilting mojo...what a fun finish. Who are you shipping it off to??? V:)
    PS: I'd like to invite you and your readers to stop by my new Tuesday Archives Linky at my blog: myplvl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt and I have sewn the top to the middle before........not fun! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome finish!!! It looks amazing, and I love how you quilted it. I also loved reading everything you had to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love the triangles. I know you've encouraged me to try them, and I think I just have to now. I really enjoy the irregular border on this one, and Kaffe Fassett. There are so many great things about this quilt! I love the style of your blog and how much information you provide. You called out all of those who only look at the pictures, but they are missing out on some great stories too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lOVE it! What a fab finish. Those angled edges really add to this quilt's personality! And your quilting is fantastic! Looking forward to that binding tutorial, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is lovely. The angled edges really add something to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice finish, congrats! Thanks for info on the shot cottons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the quilting makes it pop. congrats on a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so great! Love all those fabrics. I love the triangular corners! Makes it really unique.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how you left the edges zig-zagged. It's a beautiful finish! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt, I love those fabrics too and they look so great in your design and with your quilting. Not surprised you took lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know that I would have been able to continue working on it for months if I'd caught the end in the middle. I admire your sheer will to finish at any cost. The colors are lovely, the triangles are awesome, and the quilting is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those colours. Yummy! Congrats on a gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely quilt. I love the pattern, the colours used, quilting and all. Thanks for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love, love, LOVE this! the quilting is so perfect for it too!

    Thanks so much for showing this off at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so beautiful! I really love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!!!! JUST over the moon WOW!!!! You did an amazing job with this quilt! Thnak you so much for linking up to SEWjo Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your finish. It is lovely color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great finish and I love how you left all the whole triangles for a zig-zag edge, that is great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the Kaffe and Co. fabrics. Very bright and blue. Who doesn't like a blue quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have sewn the top to the middle of the quilt before. I sure am glad that I noticed it right away! Thanks for turning me onto Log Cabin Triangle block!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :) Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Come back real soon!

If you left me a comment, I will be responding in kind either by email and/or by visiting your blog and commenting on your wonderful creation :)