Tuesday, January 7, 2014

What would you do?

In my last post, I shared my current WIP and said stay tuned for the 'end of the story' . . . well, I finished a panel today, put it on the wall and.... it is a full 3 inches shorter than the other two panels!

Notice the difference in length  at the bottom right?  :(
I have been sitting here staring at this for most of the afternoon trying to figure out how to make it work.  I have figured out that this problem was caused by different sized seams (the squares in the shorter panel are exactly 2" . . . Congratulations to me, I have finally conquered that elusive scant 1/4" seam.... What this has caused is a major difference in these panels.  The other two panels are just over 2" . . . Here's a perfect example of how being just a little bit off, will add up big over the seams of a project - and this one has 46 seams on the horizontal.

So as I see it, I have a couple of options:

Get the seam ripper out and take the panel apart.... this seems like a daunting task to say the least.  I can't even imagine keeping those blocks in the right order, and then they would be sewn together differently than the other two panels. . . . would that make a difference??

Take the two longer panels, rip the seam in the middle and sew the two pieces together and make a baby quilt.... part of what makes this an attractive option is that I am obviously going to have to play with seam allowances to find where the longer panel seams were sewn.... It might be easier to just sew 7 more panels with my new found ability to sew 1/4 inch seams ....

I have also been wondering about whether or not the original panels have stretched.  I actually had a conversation with my mom about that very thing last night before I sewed the third panel together.... so what if I sewed a 'boarder' around those two longer panels with a long wide zigzag and washed and dried the panels. . . is there any chance it would shrink enough to be able to match the shorter panel?? Is this a viable option? I would love to hear if you think this would work.

What would you do?  Do you have other options for me to consider?? 

Linking to a couple of linky parties to hopefully get more traffic and a few answers!  You can find the links in my left hand sidebar :)

Linky Tuesday with Connie over at Freemotion by the River and WIP Wednesday with Lee over at Freshly Pieced.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Dropped in via Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesday linky... I'd probably go for setting up the two longer panels as a baby quilt and do a new panel to match the newer (shorter) one. I wouldn't bother with ripping all the seams up - but that's just me - I'm lazy!

    Either way, good luck, and what you've done is really impressive!

    Oh, the joy of 1/4 inch seams (and getting them right!)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Sel! I wish it was just one panel to match the newer. . . the idea is to make a large king size quilt which will require 7 new panels.... I think I am up for the challenge ;) This pattern done in batiks is stunning!!

    I am actually very excited about actually mastering the 1/4 seam even though it kind of changed the entire road for this project!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :) Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Come back real soon!

If you left me a comment, I will be responding in kind either by email and/or by visiting your blog and commenting on your wonderful creation :)